Lombard, Illinois is known as the Lilac Village, which is why VFW Post 5815 was named the Lilac Post. The area was first settled by Americans of European descent in the 1830s and was officially incorporated in 1869, named after Chicago banker and real estate developer Josiah Lombard.
In 1927 the estate of Colonel William Plum, a local resident, was bequeathed to the village. The Plum property included his home, which became the village library, and a large garden containing 200 varieties of lilac bushes. The garden became a public park (Lilacia Park).
Since 1930 Lombard has hosted an annual Lilac Festival and parade in May. "Lilac Time in Lombard" is a 16-day celebration beginning on the first Saturday in May and ending on the third Sunday. It begins with the coronation of the Lilac Queen and her court. The grand finale is Lombard's Lilac Festival Parade.
VFW Post 5815 has regularly participated in this event. In 2009 golf carts were rented for our members so that more of our VFW and Ladies Auxiliary members were able to participate.
The above photos are from Lombard's Lilac Parade on May 17, 2009.
This page was last updated July 20, 2010.